February 6, 2010

An Apology

In early 2007 I blogged about the cycles of anger. I was mostly referring to an incident that had happened with one of my closest college friends. Since that time her friendship and mine has started to crumble and over the last couple years I have missed her, fiercely. One of my favorite things about her, is her ability to say things like she feels it. ...the same thing I loved, is in part what broke us apart. Last summer, two and half years later, she came to me, she apologized. I wanted to cry right there. My heart was rejoicing - All I could think was, "I have my friend back!" I wonder why sometimes that's all we need. An acknowledgment saying "I'm sorry I hurt you." I also wonder why we even need that.
Our hearts are so fragile. We are human and sometimes I forget how intricately we are woven, how words and actions, really can hurt, do hurt - no matter how fiercely we try to fight it... I have goosebumps writing this: thinking about forgiveness and the power of an apology.

No comments: