March 27, 2010

Timeless

Unpacking, I have rediscovered an old treasure; a dictionary, formerly my mother's - old, worn, and blue. I heart it. A friend of hers gave it to her years ago. I think it was a best friend from her youth, a woman named Ibby (who i called Auntie). There is a inscription inside, but no name.

Jan, A gift to you.
Something I hope you will cherish. But I believe this will always
be something you will use.

My mom loved this dictionary like, it, itself was a friend. There is tape on the spine holding it together, a well used/loved book. Funny, how we can't ever run out of the desire/need for words. A dictionary is timeless. This specific dictionary, allows a memory to last forever. In part, because when I see it, I see my mom, and that makes me smile. Her heart & soul poured over this book. She loved to write, to think, and put her heart on paper. These words enabled her, taught her.

No comments: